General Writing Tips & Suggestions
- Practice everyday - the more you write, the easier it gets
- Practice writing online, many web sites have blogs or chat rooms
- Keep a journal & write about your ideas, goals & activities everyday
- Write at your level - if you are a beginner, don't write university essays yet
- Learn the correct writing style for your project - your culture may have a different style or organization
- Read my blog about how to improve your writing style and content
- Read a lot - reading can also help you learn vocabulary & grammar
- Read my blog about how to stop making the same grammar mistakes
- Find a tutor - everyone has different needs, so a tutor can help you improve at your own speed
Free web sites
- BBC Learning English
This is a great part of the BBC ESL web site that teaches you different grammar points and also gives you a chance to practice.
When you go to the web site, click on "Grammar Challenge".
- Churchillhouse Online English
This is an interesting web site to learn and practice using phrasal verbs.
First, you choose a topic, then you have to complete the passage with the correct phrasal verb.
An additional challenge is that you have to change the phrasal verb depending on the grammar of the sentence.
- English Grammar Online 4U
This is a well organized web site that teaches you the rules and strategies of grammar and writing for English as a second language students.
Under the 'Cram Up' section, click on "Grammar" and you can choose what you'd like to study.
Each grammar section teaches you how to make it, when to use it and there are basic practice activities.
Click on "Writing", and there are different lessons to choose from including general and business English activities.
Each lesson has a short teaching point and examples.
- ESL Lounge NEW!
Improve your writing - learn grammar rules with clear explanations and examples.
- Purdue OWL
This is a great web site to learn about different styles of writing, such as academic essays and business writing.